Thursday, December 8, 2011

Birth Story!

There are soooo many details to this story and I will probably leave lots of them out!! The morning of my c section we were up very early as they had to prep me for my surgery. The night before Greg and I were so anxious I don’t think we really got much sleep. Especially me since they were still monitoring the boys heart beats. The anesthesiologist came in to talk about the surgery and how things were going to go. After that I said my goodbyes to everyone and walked down the hall without Greg :( I didn’t want to go into the OR without him but those were the rules. Walking into the OR was very scary. There were nurses and doctors everywhere. They had a team for the babies and a team for me. They had a very hard time getting my spinal in because I couldn’t not relax my shoulders enough. Getting my spinal was the weirdest feeling, it felt like when you have a knot in your back and you keep pushing on it. As soon as they got it in my legs went numb almost instantly. They laid me down and put a cover in front of my face so I could not see anything. Finally Greg was able to come in and he sat right next to me holding my hand. It felt like only seconds later they said here is Baby A!! Jonathan came out first and it took him a few moments to cry. As soon as I heard him crying I burst into tears :) Christopher came only one minute later. He came out screaming loud and clear. The nurses had both babies in their warmers cleaning them off and also they both needed a little help breathing, which is typically for 36 week babies. It was such a relief to hear them cry and know they were finally here after everything we went through during the pregnancy. Greg was able to cut their cords and the nurse brought both of them to me so I could kiss them on the forehead before they took them to be weighed in recovery. Greg went with the babies to recovery while they finished stitching me up. It was the weirdest feeling I have ever experienced, you are completely numb but you can feel tugging and pushing. After they finished with me they put me in recovery where I met back up with the boys and Greg. They were giving the boys a bath when I got there. One of the side effects of anesthesia is shaking. My whole body shook so bad that I could not hold the babies. Also, I had a very hard time with my blood clotting after my surgery. They had to page the doctor to come in and manually massage my stomach to get blood clots out. It was the most painful thing I think I have ever experienced. Finally after about four hours I got to hold the boys for the first time. That was the best feeling in the world to hold my precious baby boys. Greg was absolutely amazing the whole time in the hospital. He never left my side and showered the boys with enough love for the both of us. We stayed in the hospital for three more days after my c section. After a loongggg week we were so ready to bring the boys home! We came home from the hospital that Saturday. Unfortunately early Saturday morning I woke up around 4am to feed the boys. When I sat up out of bed you could hear a gurgling in my lungs and I could not breath. We rushed backed to triage. When we got there my O2 saturation was 86%. Normal ranged is anything above 90%, however most people are above 95%. The nurses were giving me oxygen and putting an IV in immediately. They started me on Lasik which makes you pee a lot to get rid of fluid. My whole body was so swelled from all the fluid of being pregnant with multiples that it had backed up into my lungs. Needless to say that was a very long day, and I was so depressed that I had to leave my new baby boys. I got to go home from the hospital late that night. It has been a LONG recovery from my c section but I can say to anyone that wants to know it is ALL worth it in the end. We were so happy that the boys were perfectly healthy at 36 weeks and had to spend no time in the NICU. We feel so blessed that we made it that far in the pregnancy because at one point they thought we were going have to deliver at 28 weeks. We have so much support from both of our families and are so happy that they were there to share this special time in our life with us. Now we are enjoying every minute with the boys and making lots and lots of memories!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment